Rasta is a voluntary, not for profit organization, working with the socially and economically backward in any part of India, and currently working in East Delhi and Ghaziabad of Uttar Pradesh
Rasta was founded in 1994 by a group of socially conscious individuals who were disturbed by the sight of children, of school-going age, roaming about in east Delhi streets.
Rasta’s registered office is at “C-2 Press Apartments, Plot 23 Patparganj, Delhi-110092 and its operational office is currently at “E-169, Shanti Marg, West Vinod Nagar, Phone No.011-22478418, website www.rasta.org.in”.
• Registered as a Charitable Society, under the Societies Registration Act XXI1860, with Regn No. as S/26397 of 1994;
• Registered u/s12A and 80G of IT Act;
• Registered under FCR(A) with Regn No. as 231660648/Nov 2005;
• PAN #: AAATR3559H; TAN #: DELR16254A
Rasta is governed by 9 member Governing Body, headed by P.C.Nailwal(Chairman). Main contact person is Mr. K.C. Pant, its current Chief Executive Officer.
RASTA’s VISION & MISSION:
A society where every individual is able to realize her/his potential and lead a life of dignity in an environment of communal solidarity and harmony.
•Work with the socially and economically disadvantaged;
•Empower them with education and skills and enable them to achieve and assert their rights;
•Enhance their quality of life and facilitate their self-reliance;
•Promote gender equity and women’s development.
• Pre-School, Non-formal and Remedial Education;
• Community Health;
• Facilitating Community Organization;
• Livelihood Promotion.
• Research & Documentation
• Resource Mobilization
• Children, especially girls;
• Minority community groups.
• Educated more than 12000 children;
• Mainstreamed 4000 children;
•Exposed Rasta staff and people in programme areas to the potential of Right to Information ct;
• Department of Education Delhi has rated Rasta as Grade ‘A’ Organization;
• Accredited by National Institute of Open Schooling for conducting NIOS examinations;
• Assessed and rated as credible and effective by the “Credibility Alliance” an acknowledged national network of NGOs, and functioning as a watchdog of NGOs’credibility.
“The Assessor found that the organization is taking special efforts to reach remote locations. One teacher per class was there in all the centres. The students were seating in proper rows and seeming to take interest in studies. Most of the teachers were satisfied with the organization’s management and found teaching poor students satisfying”
- From the report of Credibility Alliance.
CURRENT (2010) INVOLVEMENTS:
• Educating 1200 children in 36 centres in East Delhi and Ghazibad- UP;
• 770 girls, including 450 from minority – Muslim community – being educated;
• Conducting meetings with 36 Parent Teacher Associations every month, to ensure their cooperation and sustain the parents’ motivation to educate their children;
• Imparting vocational training to 100 girls;
• Nurturing 2 Pressure Groups in making use of the RTI( Right to Information), for improving the functioning of public institutions;
• Membership in Vidyalaya Kalyan Samiti of one Government School;
• Monthly training of RASTA’s teachers;
• Training personnel of other NGOs in methodology for teaching underprivileged children;
• Consulting NCERT & SCERT in syllabus formulation;
•Present area of operation – 3 slums in east Delhi and 2 villages in Ghaziabad.
HOW YOU CAN PARTNER IN RASTA’S MISSION:
• By donating in cash and or in kind – cash donation to be only by “A/c Payee” cheque favouring “Rasta”;
• By sponsoring cost of running as many Education Centres as possible;
• By sponsoring the cost of uniforms for the students;
• By sponsoring the salaries of the teachers;
• By sponsoring the cost of text books and note books for students in all classes or any class;
• By volunteering to be honorary teachers for a minimum period of 1 month.
All donations will be acknowledged and receipts will be sent. Please note that donations to Rasta are exempt from tax, u/s 80G of IT Act.
YOU ARE WELCOME TO VISIT, any of the following centres:
• Rasta Basti Vidyalaya, Indira Camp I & II, East Delhi;
• Khora Girls School, Ghaziabad, UP;
• SHG Centre, Sudamapuri, Ghaziabad, UP
This post was submitted by K.C.Pant.